2009-10-28

The OSGi framework beauty contest in Ludwigsburg

Yesterday I attended the OSGi Users Group Germany meeting in Ludwigsburg. One of the sessions was an OSGi framework beauty contest between Knopflerfish (me), Felix (Karl Pauls + Felix Meschberger), Equinox (Jeff McAffer) and mBedded Server (Roman Roelofsen). I think it was a pretty good session, but difficult to judge from where I was sitting. Nor can I say there was a clear winner, except maybe for the OSGi technology itself which we all praised. I also got several comments afterwards that we all seemed so friendly to each other where they had expected us to be more aggressive. Well, if you put a Swiss, a Canadian and a Swede on stage you will not get a dog fight, you will get peace, love and understanding, unless it is ice-hockey.

I was impressed by the event itself, +50 people and generally a good quality of the sessions from what I could judge. That said from my somewhat limited understanding based on 6 years of German at school. But there is clearly a strong momentum around OSGi in Germany at the moment. No doubt about that. There were quite a bit of discussions on the tooling for OSGi, which I will get back to in another blog entry later.

In the evening I had a very nice Schwäbisches dinner together with 2 gentlemen from Deutsche Telekom, discussing, among many things, OSGi in the residential home gateway. Very interesting discussions which gave me some new ideas for the panel session I'm doing next week: Evolution of the "Digital Furnace": Residential Gateways and Set-top Boxes, at the Connections Summit 2010 on Nov 4th in Amsterdam. I hope to see you there!

/Christer

2 comments:

Ian Skerrett said...

Good thing that Canadians always win at hockey. :-)

Christer Larsson said...

I suggest we get back to that discussion after the olympics later this winter ;-)